Tuesday, January 9, 2007

Dreaming about lace

So ever since I finished the EZ sweater, I've been dreaming about the next lace project. Seriously, I've been doing yarn overs in my dreams, that's how fixated I am. I have a couple of lace books that I've been studying, and now I'm just trying to decide which project to choose. My favorite pattern from Cheryl Oberle's Folk Shawls is the Kimono Shawl, so I made a swatch of the pattern yesterday just to see how it works. I used some sport weight alpaca that I have left over from a previous project, and size 4 needles.



I think it turned out OK, although there's some uneveness in the size of the yarn over holes and I'm not sure why. Maybe I need to use bigger needles, or thinner yarn. I have some lace weight alpaca coming in the mail, so I will do another swatch with that and see which works better.

I also would love to try Eunny Jang's Print o' the Wave stole. That may be my favorite lace pattern of all, but it looks intimidating.

That's it for now. Still working on L's sweater.

3 comments:

Kelley said...

That's some lovely lace. Can't wait to see some updates once you decide what to make. I'm dreaming about lace too. That's one of my goals for the new year--to knit some lace.

elsasmom said...

Thanks, Kelley.

Molly said...

Those are the same two shawl patterns I have been swatching! I love them both but I think the KS will look better in a handpainted yarn and the POTW will look better in a solid color. As to the issue of uneven holes, I suggest you look at this discussion: http://explaiknit.typepad.com/let_me_explaiknit/ (Feb. 27, 2007 entry). It made me return to making yarnovers between a knit and purl the "wrong" way I'd been doing for years, and now they are more even.